Tuesday, November 15, 2005

 

Mellon Collie Turns 10

I'm a bit late on the following observation (by 22 days), but I find it absolutely amazing that the Smashing Pumpkin's Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is now 10 years old. It seems like, well, not yesterday, but definitely not a decade ago that Oberon and I sat in an MTU dorm room, trying to decipher this overwrought slab of alt-rock. Like so many other double albums, it would have been much better served by being released as one disc with the primo tracks and a follow-up B-side, but there's little doubt that the thickness of the jewel box makes a statement all by itself.

While songs such as "(Fuck You) An Ode to No One", "Here is No Why", and "Muzzle" still hit me just as hard as they did in Oct. '95, and while I eventually grew to appreciate "Tonight, Tonight", I still have little love for "1979". It just annoys me.

Anyways, in hindsight, this album probably serves as a good mark for the end of the alt-rock/grunge era.

Comments:
Siamese Dream was the best...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?