Friday, November 25, 2005

 

Gadget Whore

I'd successfully fending off the siren song of consumer electronics for the past three years or so. My most-recent purchase of that sort was a Fujifilm something-or-another that I bought a couple of years ago for $99 on clearance at Radio Shack. I was still taking an 8-year-old CD player to the gym, and using the Mot V60 cell that I bought around three years ago (props to Mot, BTW, for building that phone to last).

Then I picked up an iPod, and it's been all down hill from there.

Just before going out to Vegas for work (man, I love the way that sounds), I picked up a Sony DSC-H1 digital camera. Features include a 5.1 MP CCD and a stabilized 12x optical zoom. How well does it work? Well, you can see for yourself by checking out Autoblog's SEMA coverage. Or not, since those pics are shrunk down pretty far, the lighting made it difficult to get a decent shot, and I'm a crappy photographer. Take my word for it - this is a nice camera for the money. It's also large, heavy, and a bit expensive, so it's not what I'd choose if I just wanted something nice to take on the occassional hike or sightseeing trip.

Last weekend, I retired the V60 cell for a Motorola E815. So far, it seems like a decent phone. I'm not sure how often I'll use the built-in 1.3 MP camera, but it's there if any spy shots present themselves (and the camera function is actually easy and quick enough to access that I'd have a chance of grabbing a shot of something while driving down I-75). I'm still feeling out this device, but so far, I've at least found that it works superbly as a phone, which is kinda the point. The Bluetooth feature would be nice if I had any other Bluetooth devices, but I think a year from now I'll have a much better chance of taking advantage of this functionality.

So, there we go - nearly a grand worth of stuff that isn't filling my gun safe or making one of my cars go faster. Who woulda thunk it?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?