Sunday, October 30, 2005

 

Music Musings

Coheed & Cambria's "Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV - Volume One: From Fear Through The Eyes Of Madness" is as wonderful as the title is long. If Mastodon is prog-metal and The Mars Volta is prog-punk, then this might be prog-emo. But C&C is probably closer to prog-metal than Mastodon, who might be closer to prog-hardcore, and The Mars Volta is probably more emo than C&C, even though they maybe belong in the prog-salsa category. Or something like that. Anyway, "Good Apollo" is right up there with the best of Rush and Queenryche. Yea - that good. What's amazing is how listenable it is in the context of modern music, despite the long runtime and lack of verse-chorus-verse songwritting. Maybe that's exactly why it's so easy to listen to.

On the other hand, My Morning Jacket's "Z" has to be the most disappointing pick-up of the year. From everything I've heard about the band, I expected a country-rock blend somewhere in-between that of Son Volt and Drive-By Truckers. Nope - nothing of the sort, and frankly I don't care for the album one bit. The next time I see a band getting such overwhelmingly good reviews and gets name-dropped by so many other muscians, I'm running far away (shoulda learned my lesson on this one after the whole Arcade Fire deal).

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?