Tuesday, August 30, 2005

 

"Intelligent" Design And Stupid Treehuggers

George Will is one of my favorite columnists, even though (or because?) I don't always agree with him. He's right-on with his latest, "Don't Feed The Animals, Please", which is centered around this summer's pandemic of nature documentaries.

He starts off with using "March of the Penguins" as evidence against intelligent design, which is a pretty strong argument that probably requires no further commentary from me. I still think that penguins are one of the most amusing animals on earth, even if evolution has been somewhat cruel to them.

Then he tears in Timothy Treadwell, who is currently experiencing 15 minutes of post-mortem fame for his role as bear food in "Grizzly Man". I have to admit that I kinda laughed at Treadwell's misfortune when I first heard about it a couple of years ago, and it's still somewhat amusing. Had he made an honest attempt at self-defense in the presense of predators, I'd feel much differently. I've got no interest in engaging in offensive operations on bears or virtually any other predator for that matter, since I think we need every one we can get.

On the other hand, however, I've also got little respect for someone who wants to go play touchy-feely with an animal that's the size of a small car without being capable of self-defense. I don't think the bears respect a lack of self-defense, given their territorial tendencies, and I've got to imagine that they're laughing their asses off at Mr. Grizzy Chow if indeed they possess the humanistic qualities that Treadwell atributted to them. I'd definitely be in the "tread lightly and carry a big gun" camp if I was wandering around in grizzly country, with emphasis on the treading-lightly part.

Comments:
I seem to have remembered either reading a transcript of the "Grizzly Man" tape or actually hearing the audio....the freakiest thing I have ever heard or imagined I heard.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?