Wednesday, July 13, 2005

 

Retraction Of The Retraction

Last week, I posted that the ATF was going to ban the importation of certain barrels for military-style weapons. Then I posted that they weren't. Now I'm posting that they're not only going to ban the importation of barrels, but also of "frames [and] receivers". This comes straight from the ATF, not some discussion-board rumor.

The relevant law is 925(d)(3), which states "it shall be unlawful to import any frame, receiver, or barrel of such firearm which would be prohibited if assembled". It's those last few words that are interesting, as there's many firearms which can legally be assembled from imported parts as long as no more than 10 imported parts (from a list of 20 parts deemed to be "significant") are used.

Anyways, I believe we have Gonzales to thank for this one. I apparently didn't give Ashcroft's pro-2nd efforts enough credit.

This is why I enjoy casting third-party votes so much.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?