Thursday, July 07, 2005

 

Dammit

After surviving the chip-seal (tar, followed by coarse gravel) treatment being applied along my favorite bike route, I broke a spoke on my Zipp wheelset (this pic shows a wheel very similar to mine). A bit of roadside wheel truing resulted in some stripped aluminum nipples (sounds more painful than it actually is), but at least I was able to finish up the ride.

But now I'm faced with the prospect of finding a single titanium bladed spoke in an odd length. I might just end up replacing all of the spokes, since I'm not real confident in the rest of them (especially considering titanium's well-reknowned fatigue properties, which means a well-build part should last the lifetime of the wheel and then some). Wonderful.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?