Sunday, January 16, 2005
A magnesium recycling plant's sprinkler system helped turn a small fire in
a scrap bin into a toxic inferno that forced thousands of people from their
homes, fire investigators said. Officials are trying to determine why the
Advanced Magnesium Alloys Corp. plant had a working sprinkler system in the same area where the metal is stored. Water causes burning magnesium to flare up and
Connie Smith, a spokeswoman for Anderson Mayor Kevin Smith, said fire
officials told plant officials 18 months ago to cap the sprinklers.
Um, oops. Perhaps it's occassionally a good idea to listen to the fire inspector.