Saturday, January 22, 2005

 

4WD Hubris

After enjoying a mostly-sideways drive into work this morning in my pickup, I was feeling much too confident in my drifting abilities. Those that have played with a 4WD vehicle for any length of time quickly learn that it's not just about acceleration; when all four wheels are driven, the ability to control the vehicle via both the throttle and the steering is amazing (just don't touch the brakes).

So, after taking nearly every bend, curve, and turn at greater-than-prudent speeds and excessive yaw angles, I made a brief stop at McDonalds to pick up a couple breakfast burritoes. For some reason, I felt the need to make the 60 ft trip between the drive-thru speaker and the first window in a sideways fashion, and just about took out the big electrical box residing in-between. In the process of recovering from that, I made a real good attempt at parking it right about where the cash register sits inside the building. How I built up enough speed to pull this off, I'm not sure, but I think it involved a lot of throttle. Fortunately, a lot of quick steering input saved the day, the register operator missed the whole event, and I was able to hand over my $3.92 without much embarassment.

Upon reaching work, I found that a fair amount of the parking lot had yet to be plowed, and so I got a few good runs through some grill-deep stuff (which is fairly deep on a 3/4-ton truck) before shutting 'er down and trudging to the door. Unfortunately, manufacturing was running on this particular Saturday morning and so I didn't get to enjoy a unplowed lot, but I'll take what I can get.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?